Friday, January 29, 2010

Too Much to Say

Bienvenidos a Miacatlan. These pictures show the entrance of NPH and the quiet streets of the pueblo itself. Today was an overwhelming day...both in a good and challenging way depending on what hour you asked me. I feel like I have a lot of things to write about but I think I need to let things settle in my mind before I can share them properly.

But maybe I'll give you a taste. The casa here is much bigger than I expected with beautiful buildings that were restored from the 1800s. There are acres and acres of land growing vegetables, talpia ponds, goats, and pigs. I have my own room that might be bigger than my old studio in Chicago. I feel a little guilty becasue the other volunteers share a room that is literally separated by sheets. But I don't feel bad enough to give it up.
There are kids everywhere, constantly in motion, which is both overwhelmingly beautiful and crazy. I ate dinner with 9 year old boys, which consisted of the boy next to me literally telling me each minute when the number on my watch changed and the boy across from me getting excited and spilling my juice all over my lap. After dinner I just sat and watched the kids play soccer. A 13 year old boy named Donaldo came and sat next to me the whole time. He brought me chocolates and apples with chile sauce and asked me every question he could think of. He's only been here for 7 months...I think he's adjusting too.

2 comments:

  1. love this post- laughed out loud at the boy spilling his juice in your lap. Baby Liam was christened today- you were missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the new watch is coming in handy- who knew it would be such a great conversation starter!

    ReplyDelete