Saturday, January 30, 2010

Getting the Ball Rolling


I spent the day essentially trying to find a new rhythm. I started the day with a run, exploring the best way to cut through town and get to the back roads. The people love to sweep in the morning. Polite old women paused and said, "Buenos Dias". The air smells like a carnavel in the summer when corn is being smoked on an open fire.

I spent most of the day in the clinic, unwrapping equipment that has already been delivered and getting an idea of how I want to set up the therapy room. As you can see in the picture it is quite nice. A fellow volunteer named Dan showed me the ropes, he's been helping out in the clinic since July. I hope to tell you more about him later.

The days feel long, partly because everything is new and partly because the pace is leisurely. Things I used to do on the fly, have now become an event, with a beginning, middle and an end. Things like drinking coffee, getting a key made, or searching for a screw driver. It feels a little unnatural at the moment, but I hope to gradually smooth out my rough edges and start rolling smoothly again.

We also had mass this evening. My favorite part is the classic Mexican high pitched mandolin that accompanies the familar songs and responses. We even had popsicles afterwards. This little guy in the picture above came up and held my hand. He commented that we have similar hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment