Sunday, January 24, 2010

Parades, Pools, Pozole







I made it to Axochiapan without a hitch. Raul gave me last minute directions to get off the bus in Quebrantadero, his actual town, and his kids were there to greet me. It ended up that his Raul's wife and youngest daughter were in Mexico City, but his other 2 children, Raul Jr. and Carmen were home from college for the weekend. They took good care of me. Raul Jr. is 23 and a lot like his old man, very outgoing. From the moment he saw me he told me he wanted to practice his English every minute I was there. He speaks very well. He is studying "mechanical engines" in Puebla. Carmen is 21 and is very sweet and motherly, always making sure I had whatever I needed. She is studying orthodontics in Puebla. Raul Sr. called at least once every day to get updates on what we were doing, suggesting foods to eat and in general making sure I was having a good time.


Friday night we hit the festival in Axochiapan, which had a full-on carnival. The streets were packed for 3 different parades/processions, which went on until midnight. I finished the night with some Pozole, which a soup that has meat and popcorn-like noodles.

Saturday Raul Jr. took me to a natural pool that was heated by hot springs that came from a nearby volcano, I swam literally for hours because it felt so good. He also took me to an archeological site where we climbed a mountain and saw some great vistas. At night we met up with their friends for tacos. I am hoping to visit them in Puebla some weekend while I'm here, which is supposed to be a beautiful city with lots of history. Many thanks to the Sanchez family for their wonderful hospitality.



2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you got to visit Raul's house/family/town. I'm sure it meant a lot to him. They are great hosts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--I cannot believe that he still calls you on your birthday--does he call Katie? I remember in college he came to our apartment with a guitar also in the early morning and Katie was a bit flustered. You know how she was not really an early riser (before Liam). ;)

    ReplyDelete