Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Changing the World/Diapers




I can't help but to write about another one of Sy Safransky's essays, especially considering my sister Katie, my nephew Liam and niece Ava have been staying here at my parents house the last couple of days. The essay was written in 1977 (the year Katie was born) and it is Safransky's reflections on the birth of his daughter. He says, "To me, changing a diaper is more important than changing the world. I take that back: changing a diaper is changing the world, for of such small labors of love is the world created."
Changing diapers might be the best example for me, although I have changed a few in my day. But as I've rubbed shoulders with fellow idealists and good friends, I've found that my vision has biased the small and steady daily actions vs. the vision to make changes on a larger scale. I'm thankful for Sy's affirmation of the small actions. I'm thankful for my parents for changing my diapers and I hope Liam and Ava one day thank Katie for changing their diapers. We might have to return this labor of love one day. These are the true rhythms of life.

1 comment: