Friday, January 8, 2010

Creating My Own Box



The other day in the kitchen my dad randomly asked me, "On an application when it asks of religious affiliation, which one do you choose?" I told him the last time I had to, I checked "other" and wrote: Catholic/animist. I admit I don't practice either one very well. In fact, a true animist wouldn't even know what that word meant - they would just have a world view that everything in this world is divine. Most hunter gatherers were animists. They didn't have to choose whether unborn babies, killers, poor people or even animals, trees or rocks have divine worth...they do. Although I am not a card-carrying practicing Catholic or animist, I believe both systems are rooted in me...but the Catholics had better weapons when they met centuries ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment