Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Miacatlan Critical Mass






In the mornings I run along a country road that passes through several large farms that grow sugar cane, corn and agave plants. Bikes are a common form of transportation around here. I always smile when I see a grandmotherly looking woman pumping up the hills on her BMX with 2 bags of groceries on the handle bars. It's also not uncommon to see campesinos heading out to the fields on their bikes, often with a hoe over their shoulder. But this morning I was passed by a whole mass of cyclists, some of whom had pictures of the Virgen Mary strapped to their bikes. They even had sag wagons following behind...it seemed like a legit ride. I asked a local guy what was going on and he said it was tradition in this area on Ash Wednesday. I have a feeling that they see it as form of penance because people around here don't seem to ride their bike just for the sake of riding.

I jokingly titled this post "Miacatlan Critical Mass" because it seemed as if the sheer number of
riders changed the traffic norms. Usually I'm forced to jump off the road when cars fly down this narrow road, but today it was as if the cars were conditioned to react to me. For those of you unfamiliar with Critical Mass, it's a gathering of cyclists that happens in most big cities around the world on the last Friday of the month. For example in Chicago thousands of cyclists meet at Daley Plaza and clog the downtown streets during rush hour and then head aimlessly (usually) through different neighborhoods. It's tradition to yell, "Happy Friday" as you pass pedestrians and stopped cars. It's an opportunity for cyclists to be the majority and affect the car-dominated culture. Responses often vary, some frustrated drivers go into fits of road rage as they wait up to 20 minutes for everyone to pass and others smile and give a thumbs up. I don't know if it's the best way to earn respect for bikers, but it sure is fun!

I didn't have my camera this morning but I found a random picture of Mexican cyclists behind the Virgen. The other 2 pics were taken at the Chicago Critical Mass.



No comments:

Post a Comment