Saturday, February 20, 2010

All About The Whistle

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a big fan of the whistle. My trademark whistle is an imitation of the "Ca Caw Ca Caw" bird call. When I lived with a lot of people, I could simply give "the whistle" and everyone would know when I was home or in another room. I also used the whistle when I was working at RIC. There was a time when I was constantly asking my co-worker Shannon for help with a difficult patient. I got sick of asking so instead I would just stick my head in the gym door and give my whistle. She gave me a hard time for whistling at her in at first, but then it became standard. She would say, "If you need me, just whistle."

When it comes to music I'm also a big fan of the whistle. One of my favorite singers is Andrew Bird who is arguably at the top of the whistling game. He creates these amazing loops with whistling melodies. Here in Mexico I enjoy hearing the Regaton music because I can whistle along with the horn parts.
All this to say, Mexican culture is a whistler's paradise. Of course there is the machismo whistle at the mamacitas as they walk by. But it's also common to to just give a short whistle and a wave or a peace sign when you're passing someone, rather than using words. I've been using this a lot, especially when passing big groups of kids. I've also noticed that the whistle is often used to replace words when describing something. For example, "We're going to eat and then (whistle + 2 fingers imitating running)" = "We're going to eat and then we'll go."
This picture above is of Angel, but they call him Akon, like the rapper, which they pronounce "A-Cone". He was messing around on the balcony a couple of weeks ago, fell and broke his jaw and some ribs. So he's been "encamado" (bedridden) here in the clinic. The irony is that he's never in bed, so I've been letting him play the Wii to pass the time. I think he's going to be an expert at every game by the time he heals. His jaw is wired shut, so a lot of our communication involves whistling.

1 comment:

  1. we miss your "ca caw ca caw" around here. just talked to mom & dad about how much we're enjoying your blog. keep it up!
    p.s. liam's been asking about you

    ReplyDelete