Friday, February 5, 2010

Cereal for Life


In general the food here is very simple and most of it comes right from the farm. The main staples are pork (I heard we eat 3 pigs per week) and tortillas (they make 1000s per day). It's amazing how many ways they can combine the same ingredients, but I'm not complaining.
One thing I was ready to sacrifice during my 6 months here, was my love of cereal. To my surprise I found out that the founder of NPH, Father William Wasson, entered a contest years ago for a life-time supply of Kellogg's cereal. Not only did he win, but he made the case that his family consisted of the 100s of children in the house. He passed away a few years ago, but Kellogg's still supplies cereal for the house.
Father Wasson pictured above both in his younger and later years, seems like the kind of guy who was always pulling off amazing feats. I think a lot of his success came from his ability to connect the rich with the poor. He reminds me a lot of my main Irishman Fr. Michael Doyle in Camden, NJ. Fr. Wasson came to Cuernavaca from Arizona as a young priest. He was the man who originally took care of the first child and the visionary who developed 9 different NPH homes in Latin America. He is legendary here. I don't think a prayer goes by without giving him a shout out. Some of the volunteers joke that the hierarchy of the divine at NPH is in the following order: 1. Padre Wasson, 2. La Virgen Maria, 3. Jesus Cristo.

2 comments:

  1. that's a neat story. do you eat it with warm milk from a box?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, always a box of milk. But we do refrigerate it after it's opened.

    ReplyDelete