Monday, February 8, 2010

Makeshift Sprint Coach




These two studly fellas are part of the group that I try to hang around. Bon Ice is on the left and Ganguis is on the right (nicknames of course and neither one can tell me what it means). They asked me the other night if I could train them a 200 meter competition that they participate in every Spring. I'm far from a sprinter coach, but I once played one on TV. On Saturday we went out to the soccer field and worked on some form drills and short sprints. Today we worked on pacing and endurance. They ran in their socks but they said they'll be able to borrow a friend's "light shoes" for the big race. They also told me today that the race isn't in March, it's on Thursday. I hope that training kicks in quick.

The kid standing against the wall is my man Manuel. He's a really sweet kid. He has a gentle smile and always made a point to say hello before I knew anyone. He's one of my patients in the clinic. His leg was mangled by a dog when he was 10, he's missing most of his right calf muscle, but he functions very well. He showed up late for therapy this afternoon but decided to come down to the field with us. I made him stretch out with the other guys.
By the way, there was some concern about the earthquake that hit Oaxaca, Mexico - reaching as far as Mexico City. Fortunately we didn't have any effects. Good to know some of you worry about me though.

1 comment:

  1. hahahahaa "the race isn't in march, it's on thursday." so nph. that just made my morning.

    ReplyDelete