Thursday, February 25, 2010

Lunch with Yelli and Lilia

Yelli and Lilia were recently assigned to clinic to help with the chores. Before they arrived this saintly woman named Dona Felipa (who I'll have to write about another day) was working non-stop 11 hours a day constantly sweeping, washing, serving food and taking out the trash.
From what I understand these two were part of the Special Ed department throughout school. NPH has a transitional house in Cuernavaca for students in their situation where they can live and work after high school. A lot the focus is on learning the life skills necessary to live on their own. They were having some problems so they were sent back to Miacatlan to work various jobs. They live in the dorms with the oldest girls.
Yelli (short for Angelica) is on the left in the picture. She was referred to me as patient when I got here because of a history of mild CP. She required a lot coaxing to participate initially because of a some significant self esteem issues. She was slowly coming out of her shell, but now that she has her sidekick Lilia she has really blossomed.
The first time I met Lilia she asked me about 20 questions in a row and probably pinched my cheeks 5 times, saying "Ahhh", the way a big sister would to her little brother. She cannot remember my name, so she calls me "Papa".
At lunch time they set the table and desiginate the seats for everyone. One of them has to sit next to Dan and one of them next to me. Every day they ask if we have girfriends. When we say no, they go through this routine of speculating which of the female volunteers we like. Dan was feeling under the weather today and didn't have the patience to go through the whole list, and just said we all share lovers. When they acted surprised, he calmly said, "Asi es el amor" (Such is love). It was a great response and they were forced to change subjects. The doctor sits quietly at the other end of the table chuckling to himself. Yelli and Lilia have definitely spiced up the lunch hour.
By the way, this photo is a legit glamour shot, some definite primping was required before they would allow me to take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment