Sunday, February 14, 2010

Descanso




The word descanso is used often here in Mexico. It comes from the verb descansar = to rest. It's not uncommon at the end of the night to say, "Que te descanses bien" - wishing someone a good night's rest. But more importantly descanso is the word everyone uses here when you get your weekend off. After two weeks of work here in Miacatlan, I was ready to get some time to myself and live it up with my good friends. That's exactly what I did.
Friday afternoon I did some exploring on my bike, which is something that has been lacking. I biked up to an archaeological site in the foot hills that I had heard of. It involved a gradual 12km climb up and a quick ride down. Saturday I caught the bus back to Cuernavaca, the same place I stayed during language school. NPH provides free housing there during descansos. I bought some necessities at the market and picked up a few requested items for the ladies in the clinic. I was very proud of myself for soing some successful purse shopping for Rosi. I was happy with my selection. I also bought a pirated version of Avatar for about $1.25US, which deserves a separate post.
Saturday night the old crew got back together for a night on the town. We warmed up with some tequila and Beyonce dance lessons (seen in picture one). Then we went out for some chamoyadas (beer with chili, sugar, lime) - see picture 2. The weekend was just what the doctor ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment