Wednesday, February 3, 2010

English Classes


This week after dinner I've been observing other volunteers teach English classes to the kids. It involves creating a 30 minute lesson plan for 2 sections of about 20 kids. The program was started by volunteers last year as a way to supplement the kids' English classes in school. You have the liberty to teach whatever you want, which they say is both good and bad. I observed Julia teach 13-15 year old boys tonight (the picture isn't that good, I turned off the flash so that I wouldn't disturb the class). She had them forming questions with "who, what, where, why, and how". Across the hall, another teach was playing a Black Eyed Peas song and translating the words for the kids. Starting next week, I will start teaching some classes. Lord have Mercy.

Yesterday, a shiny new TV arrived for the therapy room. I was able to buy a Wii Fit in the States before I came to use as a form of therapy and possible motivator for the kids to stick with the program. Dan and I decided it was only right that we do some preliminary Wii research during our down time.

1 comment: