Monday, March 15, 2010

NPH at Its Best





I spent this last weekend in Cuernavaca, doing the usual combination of partying and resting. Sunday morning I went to mass at the NPH high school house. Afterwards my friend Sophie, who volunteers in Cuerna, commented that Sunday mass is when she likes NPH the most. Tonight I decided that I like NPH the most when I'm watching pick up soccer games.
A couple nights a week different age groups of boys show up to the courts and play under the lights. They pick their teams and play round robin style. When someone scores, the loser steps off, the winner stays and another group rotates onto the court.
The communication on the court is amazing...ten times more information is communicated on the court than is ever communicated at the dinner table. Fifty percent of the words that are said are swear words, but the creativity with which they're used is admirable. Nicknames are flying like crazy as they instruct eachother when to shoot and when to pass. Not to mention the constant banter that comes from the guys who are sitting out, it's non-stop humor. Sometimes the guys who are playing have to stop because they're laughing so hard.
I especially like watching the boys who are in my English class, because I often see a completely different side. The kid who is shy about practicing his English, demonstrates total confidence when he has the ball. The kid who is always distracted in class, has complete focus. The kid who is always busting my balls in class, offers me one of his chips on the sideline. The best part is that I'm not in charge of anyone, so I can just sit back and take it all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment