Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Dona Felipa



Dona Felipa is the hardest worker in the clinic. She starts at 7am and doesn't leave until 7pm, the only time she rests is during her siesta between 2-3pm. Most mornings we cross paths as I'm heading out with my broom and she's emptying the garbage. She straps the garbage can to a wheelchair and wheels it down the hill. Then she'll feed the women who can't feed themselves, wash the dishes, sweep the clinic, mop all the floors, wash the linens by hand, water the plants...and then repeat in the afternoon. Sometimes if she's feeling a little energetic she'll whip an extra soup to serve with the lunch provided by the main kitchen. She also insists on serving me my food (waitress style) and will physically restrain me from doing my own dishes. She's very old school like that. I mentioned in a previous post that she has two helpers, Lilia and Yelli, who were assigned to help her with her many jobs. The problem is that she takes so much pride in her work that she'll often re-do their chores, because they're not up to her standards.

Lili and Yelli aren't the only ones affected by her perfectionism. Many times my morning schedule is determined by the stage of her mopping cycle. She will bluntly tell me to wait to start with patients until the floors are dry, so as to not make wheelchair marks or footprints on the freshly cleaned floor. It threw me off a little when I started, having come from an environment where every minute of my work day is accounted and billed for. But now I just put my feet up and wait and until she gives me the go ahead. Plus, I've learned that a strong woman like herself is someone you want on your good side at all times. The doctor might be the head of the clinic, but she rules the roost.

No comments:

Post a Comment