Sunday, March 14, 2010

Mexican Walmart

Walmart is a force to be reckoned with in the world. When a Walmart pops up, its presence is felt for miles and miles. Walmart, and other big box stores for that matter, have the ability to bring in mass quantities of low priced items. As a result, local hardware stores, grocery stores and general stores can't compete and some will eventually go out of business. Beyond it's economic impact, Walmart often becomes a geographic landmark because of its sheer size, especially in small towns. During physical therapy school I did one of my clinicals at Hastings Indian Hospital, which serves the Cherokee Nation. The local town of Tahlequah, Oklahoma had recently gotten a Walmart. Everytime I asked for directions, the response started with, "Well, you know where is Walmart is, right?" It was as if it had become the new town square. I met a local girl and one night we went on a date that consisted of walking around Walmart. The outdoor patio section was especially romantic.

My snobbiness against Walmart has waxed and waned over the years, pending its convenience and who is around to judge me. Walmart isn't an option in Chicago because the unions have kept them from invading the city (at least last time I checked). Plus, being a bike rider, shopping in bulk isn't logistically possible. When I was living in community in Camden, NJ, driving to the suburbs to hit up a big box store often required a dissertation on the necessity in order to absolve our liberal guilt. I'm exaggerating a little.

Ironically, since moving to Mexico I've become a Walmart regular. Last Saturday I came to Cuernavaca to check out some equipment needed for the physical therapy room and yesterday I got some pictures developed on my day off. I have to admit the experiences were incredibly familiar and comfortable. All the prices are set so you don't have to worry about bargaining. There are free samples of food and beverages in the aisles. You can pay with credit cards. There was even a nicely manicured lawn in front where I sat and wrote a letter to my grandmother while I was waiting for my pictures to be deveoloped. You can take the American out of America but you can't take the America out of the American.

"I Am America (And So Can You!)"...Stephen Colbert

No comments:

Post a Comment