Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Eating Local







I've mentioned sheep (borrego) once before, it's the nickname given to kids with curly hair. Some people count sheep to help them fall asleep, but I just listen to them instead. My room happens to be a straight shot from the sheep pen, so when I'm lying in bed at night, I fall asleep to the rhthmic "bahs" of my wooly neighbors. There's something comforting about sleeping so close to my food source. They say the average piece of food in the United States travels 1500 miles before it arrives on your plate. It takes a lot of chemicals and fossil fuels to sustain such a journey, not to mention a cost to the nutritional value and flavor. Today we had barbeque lamb for lunch...and it only had to travel 500 feet from the farm to the dining room.


No comments:

Post a Comment