Thursday, April 1, 2010

Fabiola


I mentioned Fabiola in the "Girl Talk" post, but she deserves her own spotlight. She had septic arthritis when she was very young, which resulted in several surgeries and a severely contracted right knee. She is by far my all star patient. In fact, I don't think she has ever missed a session. Not only has she been consistent, but she has been an excellent student of what it takes to care of her joints and her body in general. She calls me "maestro", which means teacher. The truth is that she has been one of my best teachers. If I prounounce something incorrectly she makes me repeat it until I get it right. My friend Park picked up on this and has been coming up to the clinic during her sessions for tutoring sessions while she does her exercises. She's incredibly patient.
She's a special kid. One day my Spanish was flowing better than normal and she stopped me before she left and said, "I'm so proud of you Maestro, you've improved so much!" In addition to the physical benefits she received from therapy, I've noticed an increased confidence in her. From what I understand she's had some self esteem issues in the past and these days she seems much more self assured. I'm proud of her too.

No comments:

Post a Comment