Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Baby Jesus




Jesus is kid I've known for awhile. He's famous for coming up and saying, "Hey man!" in a classic Mexican accent. He's always injured and when he hurts badly enough, he'll come up to the clinic for some help. I started calling him Baby Jesus, partly because he likes English (and gets the reference) and partly because he whines like a baby no matter what I ask him to do. His official nickname is Chango, which is a word used here in Mexico for a small monkey. I don't really like it because it's a name they use for kids who look more indigenous. Part of the reason he's always hurting himself is that his shoes are torn up, his toes literally come out of the top. He also really likes to play soccer. When I mentioned the possibility of getting some new shoes, he would always tell me that his uncle is the lawyer for the President of Mexico, and would send him money. That never came through, but luckily my friend Park the Krazy Korean and Baby Jesus became fast friends and Park left some money to buy him some shoes. So this morning we hit the market and he picked out some shiny new black soccer kicks, which should serve him well on the slippery soccer courts here. I hope they keep him injury free.
"Wear them in good health"... famous quote by my grandma every Christmas.
"Hey, I put my new shoes on and suddenly everything is all right"... lyric by Paolo Nutini

1 comment: